Thursday, September 19, 2013

Post from Mission President

Today, once again, was an exciting day for Steven.  He got a letter from President Kazuhiko Yamashita, his Mission President. Yes, you will recognize him from General Confernce! He told him a lot about Japan and that Mt. Fuji and Nagano are in his mission boundaries.  Also that Steven's mission will be a biking mission, so he will need to purchase a bike once he arrives in Japan.  They said....DO NOT purchase a bike used from a previous missionary. Purchase a new one!  Also, that the bike shops will want to sell you a bike that is too small, so be sure to get the right size so you don't injure your legs or knees.  He explained that they want to sell M bikes, but many need L or XL, so don't hesitate to say no and get a larger one.  So....Steven is trying to learn in Japanese "No.  I need a bike that is bigger". It was awesome to see the postmark "Japon" (yes, Japon) on his letter and to see the Japanese writing on the inside.  It is wonderful!

We checked the map....if Steven gets to attend the Tokyo Temple, he will go right past the Nagano Alps and past Mt. Fuji!  I look forward to some awesome pictures.  My father was a career navy man and he spent time in Japan.  He said it was the most beautiful place on earth and had always hoped to take his family there.  I look forward to Steven seeing Japan through his grandfather's eyes as he reflects on those things that brought joy to my father when he was there.  We are working hard to save, save so when it is time for Steven to come home we can go to Japan to greet him.  We are all so excited about the service Steven will be doing.  One of the questions that his mission president asked him was, "Why do you want to serve a mission"?  Steven turned to me and said that that was hard for him to answer because there aren't words that can describe how he feels about serving.  I told him to listen to his heart.  He said, "I want to serve because I am so grateful every minute of the day for all the wonderful blessings my Heavenly Father gives me.  Serving is one very small way I feel I can just begin to thank Him for all He and His Son, Jesus Christ, has done and continues to do for me".

No comments:

Post a Comment